CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

a sun-kissed week...

Kevin made his return to Singapore soil after having left this small island 10 years ago. Less than 24 hours after his arrival, he was whisked off up north to the city of Kuala Lumpur for a couple of days followed by a good few days in sunny Phuket.

Kuala Lumpur
> Water rides at Sunway Lagoon - checked
> Climb up the Petronas Tower - unchecked
> Climb up the KL Tower - unchecked

Yeah, so we didn't do much but hey, we were only there for 2 days. There is no way that we are going to crawl out of bed early just to get the 800 limited tickets to go up Petronas Tower which are normally distributed at 8.30am. KL Tower was also cancelled - hazy conditions. Doubtful that we will get to see a good view.

Still, I think we had some productive time at Sunway and using the facilities at the hotel the morning before we got on our Phuket-bound flight. Also, I truly enjoyed the music played by this Filipino band at Hard Rock Cafe, while sipping my Sex on the beach cocktail. The band was by far the best band we've seen on this trip.

Phuket
> Island hopping - checked
> Much time under the sun and by the beach - checked
> Visit National Park in Surat Thani where we had a ride on an elephant I named Elly and went on a canoe ride - checked
> Hang out at Patong on a couple of evenings for people watching - checked
> Simon Cabaret Show where we saw the lady boys expressing themselves without the use of their actual voice chords - checked
> Going to A Go-Go Bar - unchecked

Our arrival in Phuket was greeted with wacky weather. Well, the southwest monsoon was hitting the region. However, the weather improved within a couple of days and the time spent under the sun was superb! The beach is just across the road from the hotel at Karon Beach. The idea of spending time in the sun at Patong Beach was scrapped off - that place is so in your face and chaotic. Why go there when the beach at our hotel was so serene - it was like being on your own private beach. But we did check the nightlife at Patong Beach a couple of nights - it had to be done and checked off my list of things to see.

The lady boys at the Simon Cabaret Show made me feel so insecure about my womanhood but after having heard them speak, I am insecure no more. I like Kevin's definition of the lady boys - "They are distinguished by titties that don't move and their voice box. Other than that, they are indistinguishable."

We cancelled the walk into the A Go-Go bar. I am not sure how to describe what can be seen at the Go-Go bar but let's just say it would be too gory for me. Aaaahhh, the 'culture' that I have missed.

Off course, on top of the above activities at the two destinations, there were a lot of consumption of good food, sipping of cocktails and some good local and the occasional imported beers as well as some good live music. We also managed to squeeze in some time for some fitness activities.. well, I think Kevin did more of the healthy activities than I did. On the last day in Phuket, we had a little pampering at the spa, followed by a very late breakfast. Spent the last few hours on the beach before setting off to the airport.

All in all, another fabulous holiday for yours truly. I am all toasted like a brown bread but hey, you don't go for a beach holiday and stay away from the sun. I was a little depressed a couple of days after returning but I am fine now. However, I have a feeling that it may set in again when I go back to work tomorrow. I get this way ALL the time after a holiday but don't we all?

I am happy to see Kevin back to these parts. Took him a while to come back to Singapore now, did he? Thank you for the lovely time, Kevin! Hope to see you again in these parts before long.

As usual, photos are in the process of being edited. It should be up real soon, I hope.

0 comments: