CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, August 19, 2007

the heat is on...

Being under the hot sun by beach, playing with the waves or sit on a deck chair, sipping cocktails is great. But not when you have to be on your feet to run the miles. Which was what I did this morning - I went for a charity run - Hope Run, organized by Youth for Causes at East Coast Park.

It was a 6km but under the heat of the sun, it seems like the 'longest' run ever. And I thought the Passion run in July was a huge battle with the heat but this August heat took a bit of a toll on me. Still, I run the distance - I was being anal, trying to make up for the runs I have missed while I was away a couple of weeks ago. Also, I have a couple of races coming up that I need to train for and this was a good opportunity - treat it like training. My plan to run faster had to be cancelled - fear that I might collapse from heat. Weak! What made the run seemed even longer was that there was no marking to indicate that you have reached the 3km mark and make a turn to the finish point. I heard quite a few remarks from some of the participants about how the event was badly organised but I didn't care that much. My objective was treating this run as training - so I just ran.

Like battling the heat on your feet wasn't enough, yours truly rented a bike and cycle about 15km, after a quick break from the run. I am barking mad, I tell you!! But the cycle was less daunting.

After a Subway sandwich for lunch and I treated myself with two big cookies - oatmeal raisin and double chocolate chip - I made my way home. It began pouring when I got home and the two-hour 'nap' this afternoon was definitely a much-needed one to put me on the road to recovery for bloody work tomorrow.

I had quite a full weekend, just how I like it these days.

0 comments: