CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, July 29, 2007

my own race...

I always look forward to weekends but I have never been so glad that this past week was over. It has been a while since work has been this crazy. Gone are the days when I was able to go out for a tea break in the afternoon. Now, my movements outside of the office was limited to just lunch time. Honestly, I get quite stressed out at the office these days. But thankfully, I have been able to deal with stress well and to leave all that stress behind when I leave the office. I am amazed that I can actually do that now. I have become totally heartless about work these days. Yes, I vent sometimes to one of my colleagues and over a few drinks with my friends after work but other than that, I hardly think about it. There is more to life than just work - I have other things to think about ... like my running.

On Saturday morning, despite the lack of sleep this past week, I woke up at 5am with my goal to run 20km for the first time since I started running (or jogging sometimes) eight months ago. Geared up with my Nike Fit Dry running outfit, my fuel belt and my iPod, complete with a play list containing heart-pumping music to get me going, I was eager to run the distance. I set off at 5.35am. We have not seen the sun on the island for days now but the condition yesterday was perfect for my first 20km run - it was a very cool morning. I was not even worried if it was going to rain. If it had been hot, I wouldn't mind it at all - it would have been more of a challenge. As usual, the first 15 minutes were daunting but once I broke my first sweat, I was in a trance and I ran and ran. The next thing I know, I was nearing the end of my route.

I completed the route in 2 hours and 30 minutes. Not bad I thought, considering that when I ran 17km previously, I completed the route in 2 hours and 15 minutes. After a cold shower, a hearty breakfast and watched some tele, I took an hour's nap to catch up on the sleep I've lost this past week. By the time lunchtime was over, I was full of energy and spent the entire afternoon doing things that I have neglected this last couple of weeks. And today, after a good night's sleep, I feel really good. I love this feeling - I think I am addicted to it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time to get a new hobby Saidah..like running to a man perhaps?

Tuesday's Child said...

hhhmmm, could this person who left this comment is jealous that i can run 20km and not during a race event? :-P

and no, i don't need to be running to a man. thank you very much!