CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

not my day – part II...

I have this really old personal digital assistant (PDA) – A Palm Pilot – it is like 6 years old. I know, such a dinosaur but it serves my purpose – well, more like did served. I have stored a lot of information in there – contacts, schedules for the past 6 years or so, birthdays, notes and even e-mails.

However, since I started this new job, I was not making use of the PDA that much. My current role is far different from what I have done in the past that the usage of the PDA has gone to almost zero. My activities are at a minimal that I can remember everything without having to note it down.

A couple of months ago, the battery went flat. Being such a procrastinator that I am sometimes, I hold off charging the battery until last night – when I finally decided that I am going to sync those data onto my computer at home. I placed it on the cradle to be charged. As soon as it was charging, I was prompted to set the date and time and some other settings. Once I have done that, I was appalled to find out that a bunch of my applications installed on the PDA and my data was all gone – the e-mail application to check my pop mail, my French-English dictionary, my contacts, my schedules, my e-mails, my games application – EVERYTHING was gone! I was very upset, still is. I didn’t realize that the data would be gone without the power. The data on my computer or notebook would still be there after I turn off the computer. How is this different? I know there is a reason for this but I am just too upset to figure out. I am kicking myself now for not charging the PDA sooner.

As with other situations, I will have to just get over this. I have spent a couple of hours today, updating contacts on my computer with the information I have on my Outlook and my mobile phone. This time, I am not taking any chances and have the data regularly synced between my computer and my mobile phone. Installing any new applications on the PDA would be useless now because I don’t think the operating system on the PDA is even compatible or supported anymore. No, I am not getting a new PDA. I think I will settle for my mobile phone to keep all my contacts information. I can survive without checking my e-mails or playing games or look up for a meaning of a French word. All that will have to wait till I get in front of a computer to have them checked out, played or looked up.

0 comments: