CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, December 21, 2007

another good read...

Ok, so for almost two years, I managed to keep my word and tell myself that I will not read another Dan Brown's book after reading Da Vinci's Code in 2005. However, I caved and read one last month.

Kevin and I were discussing about books we have read while he was here in August. I told him that I have read Da Vinci's Code and that I will not read another Dan Brown's book, for fear that it may be a let down or the book would have similar plots like all his other books. I said that after my experience with John Grisham books. However, Kevin told me that I should read Angels and Demons. He said that this is the best Dan Brown's book after Da Vinci's Code. Well, I was quite sceptical but I said that I will buy the book and read it after I was done with my long read, The Historian.

However, before he left, he bought me the book. I finally started reading it in early November after I was done with a couple of other books like Zoe Heller's Everything You Know and Dubner & Levitt's Freakonomics. Once I started reading it, I was no longer sceptical. It was such a page turner. I wish I didn't have to put it down but I have a life to live, so I would squeezed in as much reading time as I can during my journey to and from work and would put aside an hour in the evening to read it.

Since Tom Hanks was cast as Robert Langdon in the Da Vinci's Code movie, I had imagined him playing the role in my head while reading Angels & Demons. Although, I would have preferred the part to be portrayed by Sam Neill of Kane & Abel & Jurassic Park fame. I think he has the look of a professor over Tom Hanks. While Da Vinci's Code has a French as the leading lady, Angels & Demon's leading lady is an Italian. From the description when the character was introduced and what she was wearing, I had Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft in mind playing that part. The story was set in and around Rome & Vatican City. Hence, it brought me back there. It was like living the book, which was intriguing and left me riveted!!

I absolutely LOVE this book. No regrets at all having read it but now, I am addicted as I crave for more of such reads. As I can be quite rubbish when it comes down to looking for a good read, I am now waiting for recommendations to come in for a good thriller read, which can keep me intrigue and leaving me wanting more.

0 comments: