CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

world without music..

The other morning, after a few minutes of starting my regular running session (well, okay, more like jogging - I cannot run. Well, I can but not very fast though), my iPod went dead all of sudden. This has happened before during my runs but it would recover by itself within seconds. This time around, it went for a good minute or so without recovering. I tried to revive it - hitting pause and play again a few times did not work. I tried choosing a different play list, that didn’t work either. Then, I tried resetting it by pressing the ‘menu’ and ‘play’ buttons at the same time. All these were done while I was still moving with my jog. It was not easy I tell you – meddling with your iPod on your arm while trying to main the speed of your job. But alas, after resetting my iPod, it still did not revive, much to my dismay.

I have never run or jog without the company of my iPod, being the music junkie that I am. Those fast songs that blast into my ears during my running/jogging sessions, keep me going. The music made the long distance seem shorter. But that morning, with 7km still left to go before the end of my run, I was left in the world of silence. The only sound that I could hear, other than the vehicles passing by on the road, was the sound of my breath. I was dreading it and 7km seem like a daunting distance.

Questions went through my mind while I jog without my music – silly thoughts actually – like did I charge my iPod? If my iPod could not be salvaged when I get home, does this mean I need to buy a new one? The thought of having a new iPod was tempting but I wasn’t ready to invest in a new one. Then, I thought, if I am left with no choice but to get a new one, which model would I get? IPod video? IPod Nano so that it would be easier on my arms when I run. Plenty of thoughts crossed my mind while I continued my run. The next thing I knew, I was at the last few hundred metres and the dreaded run without music came to an end.

It took me less than 30 seconds to revive my iPod the moment I got home. It came back to life after I plugged the power in, which did not surprise me but at the same time, I was relieved because I know that I did not have to invest in a new MP3 player. I hope that my iPod will not fail on me again while I am running. I know there are people out there who prefer to run without music but I can’t. Music is the next closest thing I have to a coach to motivate me while doing my exercises. I am, after all, a music junkie. What will the world be without music? That run without music was enough to tell me what it would be like - painful.

0 comments: