CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, January 15, 2007

a woman obsessed…

And that woman is I… obsessed about losing more weight and keeping fit.

A few years ago, some of my colleagues and friends would discuss endlessly about losing weight and keeping fit. They were talking about their gym sessions, their consultation with their personal trainer, diet pills and blah, blah. They were in their world of their own and I didn’t understand what the big deal is… until now that is.

I have never been fat (just that I am a big and heavy boned girl) and over the years, I have never lost any weight. I’ve gained a bit here and there but sometime between 2005 and 2006, I have gained so much weight - 8kgs to be exact and my Body Mass Index (BMI) was at the verge of going to an unhealthy level. I joined the gym but the endless workout on the treadmill, spinning classes as well as body balance didn’t seem to make any difference on my weight and my size, which continue to increase. I gave up after 9 months of no improvement. I got even heavier in 2006 when my daily meals would consist of much nasi padang (rice with dishes, usually contains coconut milk), mee goreng (fried noodles), prata with egg (local Indian pancake) and the the tarik (foamed milk tea and the milk is not low-fat milk). Pretty scary combination if you ask me.

The turning point was in November last year. I signed up for the Standard Chartered’s 10km run in August - hoping that with a goal in sight, I would start exercising again. However, that didn’t happen until early November 2006 – I panicked because I have not been training since I signed up. Also, I found out that I weigh as heavy as some of my male friends, who are taller than I am. I stopped procrastinating and began scheduling strict running sessions - 3 times a week in the mornings. Also in November, I discovered that I have lost 3kgs. Pondering back, I observed that my daily meals have changed. I have begun to eat a whole lot less of carbohydrates and more protein, of which I have continued to do. In the course of training for the 10km run, I began to shed more weight and slowly, I was able to fit into those clothes, which I could not fit prior to November and my BMI has gone back to normal level. That motivated me further and that was when the obsession began.

Now, I get very determined to do my runs 3 times a week, 40 to 45 minutes each time and would get upset if I do anything less than targetted. I would opt for the healthier meals where possible and eat less carbo. I would do weight training every other day. I research on improving my fitness. I have even set goals for myself in terms of losing more weight, toning up my body and shedding those fats around my abs and stomach. Today, I actually bought Women’s Health Magazine because there is an article on working on your abs and super-healthy new foods. The worse - I would weigh myself almost every day for fear that I may put back those weights that I have lost.

Oh my, what have become of me? I have become one of those people, who I hated a few years ago for their obsession with losing weight and keeping fit. Yikes!! My constant obsession with fitness stuffs may have driven some people up the wall. I have gone insane, I tell you! However, a couple of close friends said to me that it is difficult for someone who has never lost weight to understand what the buzz is about unless they have lost weight themselves. There is a reason why I am obsessed - I am seeing results and I am happy about it, compared to 2005 when all my slogging at the gym resulted to nothing. Obviously now, I have been doing something right! And all these hard work is worth all the while when you feel good at the end of it. Plus, I get compliments from people around me saying how good I look with the weight loss - their words motivate me even more. So, excuse me for being obsessed - it is all for the benefit of yours truly and I am going on living the life of a fitness freak and reap the benefits while I still can. And now, I understand what those fitness freaks were ranting about a few years ago.

So, here's to healthy living and the 21km run for this year’s marathon!!! There is no looking back - just moving forward!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emm..I wonder what's your secret to success Idah! Eem, could it be that you have a motivational guru to help you? Or that you decided to lose it all when you could not put on your recent purchases? Emm.I wonder..indeed :-)

Anyways, kudos to your new you! The earth is lighter by a couple of kilos with the weight you've lost. Now we all know why the frequent earthquake the last couple of years.

Back to you, keep up the good work. Losing weight will not only make you look good but feel good too. Trust me on this one. But remember, when you hit plateau, don't give in to it. Keep on moving..think of the past 'you' to remind yourself why you do not want to go back to the way you once were.

All said and done, with your new bod, it's time for you to show it to the world. Suggest you hit town this weekend night with your Pradas and Salvatores.

Its time to bring SexyBack!

Tuesday's Child said...

Thank you for your comments - very encouraging!

Well, I do have a coach who is always there to provide moral and mental support to yours truly. He's great I tell you - always know what to say to make me want to go on doing what I have been doing and achieving my goals - what with him leading by example. Thank god, however, that I am not being charged for the services. :-D You're the best, coach!!! I owe you BIG time!

And yeah, I am bringing Sexy back! :-D

Anonymous said...

U go girl!! :)