CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 13, 2005

the library...

What are your expectations when you walk into a café or a coffee place like Starbucks? Well, I could see people sitting around, talking – either business or pleasure – and laughing. I guess, it is a place where it is usually bustling with chatters, coffee brewing and milk steaming.

Well, not this evening. My friend and I walked into Starbucks this evening and decided to sit inside where there is air conditioning to cool off for a bit. We went about with ordering coffee and cake and started chatting away, only to realize later that the place was rather ‘happening’. We thought we could like be having a few good laughs but each time we started to talk a little loud, we started getting stares. Only moments later, we realized that students, who are studying for their exams, have invaded the place. The whole place somehow has been converted from a bustling joint into a library.

With all due respect to the students but for fart’s sake, this is a coffee place. You would expect some noise and all. I was just upset that we were getting stares each time we get a little excited with our conversation. Isn’t there anywhere else that they could go to study? Can’t they study at home? I was a student before but I find studying or revising at public place did not do any good. Well, maybe that was just me. However, I like to be able to go to a café, have my coffee and talk to my friends without getting any stares when we get a little loud. Honestly, we could have just cared less – it is a public place - but instead, we moved and have a seat outside. It was warm but it was a completely different atmosphere – there were adults free to talk as loud as they want.


I think it is about time that these café and coffee places have a policy of ‘no studying’ for students. It is not a #$%^&* library. or study hall. I felt really stifled. This evening, I felt like we were the noisy teenagers and the students were like the mature adults. Role reversal and I wonder if those teenagers would learn anything from that? I doubt.

0 comments: