CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

time out...

I am off from work this week. 3 days of leave and I have 9 days off, what with the Chinese New Year holidays at the end of the week, including the two weekends in between this week.

I usually don't have a problem clearing my annual leave entitlement. Sometimes, by the third quarter, I would have exhausted my leave and would have to resort to advance leave, no-pay leave and medical leave or make an agreement with the boss for time off if I needed to get away from work. It is easy to clear your leave when your annual entitlement is 15 days. I have never been so lucky to get more than 18 days of annual leave and that made it easy. I am envious of those people in Europe whose annual entitlement is 25 days, as soon as they start working.

The funny bit now is that I just had this new job last September and last month, I found out that I have 5 days of leave to clear despite having taken 2 during the last quarter. The worse part is we have to clear it by end of March or it will be forfeited, which I hate, unlike in my previous employment when we have up till end of June to clear our leave from the previous year.

Having had enough of the craziness at work, I decided to just clear part of it off this month and use the remaining next month. See? I don't have an issue to clear my leave. I can just put drop everything at work and just go. Call me irresponsible but I care about my well-being. My life does not revolve around work. I can love my job but will my job love me back?? I don't think so. Even if my days off are not spent going on holidays, I just like spending time at home doing nothing or go out during the day catching up with friends for lunch or coffee. Make full use of the time away from work to do whatever you want to do. It is your prerogative.

So, I don't understand how some people just don't know how to take time off from work. I often hear things like, “I have 20 days of leave to clear but I have a lot of things to do.” If only they can transfer those leave to me. I will make full use of it. Go on major holidays twice a year and short ones in between, with leftovers to be used to get over the holiday blues. Now, that is the life! Time off from work is good because you will come back refreshed and perhaps perform better. Things will not come to a stand-still just because you have to go away. No one is indispensable these days. So, make full use of your entitlement and it will not benefit anyone else but yourself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Saidah,
Thanks so much for posting this blog! Did feel a bit bluey early this week at work, I shouldn't huh! I will take full advantage of my soon to be work free break till I find my next job.

Enjoy your CNY break...gong xi fa cai~~~

Bellxox

Tuesday's Child said...

Hey Bella!

Glad to hear that my post helped you out from feeling bluey. Don't worry about work. Something great will come along. I can feel it!! Enjoy your days away from work - go for a stroll at the park, meet up friends for coffee and perhaps squeeze in a little shopping.

Have fun!

-TC

Tuesday's Child said...

Oh, I forgot! GONG XI FA CAI to you too, Bella!!