CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 09, 2007

i ran again and then dashed...

This morning, 7000 women gathered at the Esplanade to participate in the second annual Shape Run. Can you imagine the amount of raging hormones (probably a gazillion) and the number of bitches there? Abundance!

However, yours truly was not really bothered with what was going on around her. I was eager to get the race over and done with. There was only one reason why: I needed to use the toilet with just minutes left before the start of the race but I could not find a toilet nearby and the mobile public toilets around the start line have very long queues. I know it is not good for your bladder to hold on the call of nature. I thought I had 'disposed' of what I needed to before the race. I was wrong. I get this way in every race I have participated. I don’t know why but it is super annoying! So, I ran at my own pace, ignoring other runners around me. I was so uncomfortable throughout the race and I didn’t think about trying to improve my time from the previous 10km race. I just ran and ran and crossed the finish line.

After crossing the finish line, I had a quick check on the official time at the finish line. I finished it in 1 hour and 6 minutes. An improvement of 5 minutes or so from the Passion Run I participated in July. However, there was no time to gloat as I dashed all the way to toilet.

It was after answering the call of nature that I had time to think about my timing. Not bad. I must thank my friend, Kim Hong, who recently had been encouraging me to change my training regime a bit in order to improve my speed when running/jogging. I took his advice and for the past couple of weeks, I have increased my running sessions from twice a week to 3 times a week. During the week, I would run 5 kilometeres and try to finish it in less than 30 minutes where possible. Weekends would be more of long distance running or other cardio activities like swimming or cycling.

I know five minutes difference is not a lot to some of us. But to me, it is a remarkable improvement since I would usually finish my 10km run between 1 hour 10 minutes and 1 hour and 20 minutes. Perhaps the need to dash to the toilet had made me run a little faster. It is strange that how I can do better when I don’t think about it. I hope to finish my next 10km race in an hour or less. But I will not be thinking much about it though. I will just do my best - perhaps another need to make a mad dash to toilet will help to improve the time. :-D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to know you care so much more for 1 person's death as oppose to hundreds, maybe thousand that died during 9/11

Tuesday's Child said...

Yes, I am quite caring and so focussed, aren't I?