CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

a.s.s.u.m.e.

It bothers the shit out of me when people uses acronyms and not tell you what it means and make an assumption that you know what it stands for or what it means. As the saying goes, don’t assume – u make an ASS out of U & ME.

I usually make a habit to tell new people around me the meaning of the acronyms which I was using. The rule of a thumb is that you must assume that your audience is a new and not well aware of the background of the topic.

However, lately, I have been getting quite a lot of people using acronyms with me and not bother to explain what it means. When I asked them what it means, they seem to be annoyed and explaining reluctantly or whatever they explain makes no sense. I have a hard time telling them that they need to understand that this is a basic rule of a conversation. You use an acronym, you explain what it means. But no, I was not getting any of that, which drives me up the wall.

An annoying example would be this morning when I received an e-mail and it goes something like this (you must note, that the acronyms here have been modified and also that I am still completely clueless over what was being said in the e-mai):

“In order for you to process this, it will have to be ABCD before the status can be changed to DEF. However, I find that XYZ would be the best option but QRS it will be okay for now. Please advise and if I don’t hear from you by so and so date, I will change the status to TUV.”

I went, “What the @#$%^???”.

0 comments: