CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 29, 2007

this is the REAL run!

3 and half hours after the football match on the tele ended, my Sunday began – a very early start as I dragged myself out of bed and make my way to a race – the Real Run, organised by the Home Team and New Balance. It is called Real Run for a reason. I ran 12km on road, 1km on sand, 1km on trail and 1km on a runway (well, not an actual runway but sort of like an emergency runway) and all that under the hot sun. The race started at almost 8am and by 9am, the heat of the sun was unbearable. With the lack of sleep, my entire body was about to give up but my mind kept pushing me to go. I try with my might to finish the race under two hours, overwriting my goal prior to the race to finish it in 1.5 hours. As I approach the last 100 metres, I saw the timer ticket at 1 hour and 58 minutes. I sprinted to the finishing line and I overtook approximately 10 other runners. That was the fastest I ran in the entire distance. I checked my results today. I finished at number 378 of 533 women runners with a time of 1 hour & 59 minutes. I am beginning to think that I may have lost my touch at this running thing. However, that doesn’t mean that I am giving up.

Today at work, my brain may have been functioning at less than 40%. My colleague was not impressed at how slow I reacted to his jokes, comments and other things that he said. It all didn’t come together for me in my head. Although my body was energized yesterday after the race and went on to spend the remaining of Sunday with some friends, mentally, I was not functioning very well with the lack of sleep. It carried over to this Monday morning, despite the 8 hours of sleep.

I am looking forward to this weekend where I can catch up on some rest since I have not had a decent rest for the last couple of weekends. Also, the biggest game of the season so far is on this Saturday – The top 2 teams in the English Premier League meet in a clash at the Emirates Stadium. Yes, Arsenal versus Manchester United! I will be so ready to be glued in front of the tele!

0 comments: